| Sveiks! Welcome!
My Gold is My People,
My Honor is Their
Browse our unique collection to
learn more about Latvia's history and culture—and get to know Latvia and
the Latvians through our pictures and travelogues.
Temperature: 59°F / 15°C
Pressure: 29.65in / 1004hPa (Steady)
Conditions: Light Rain Showers
Wind Direction: SSW
Wind Speed: 4mph / 6km/h
not affiliated with wunderground.com.Updated: Tue, 21 May 2013 17:53:30 GMT
Latvia News Wire
news feed provided as a service to our readers—we do not screen content
and are not affiliated.Updated: Tue, 21 May 2013 17:53:30 GMT
- Latvian authorities 'try to silence' journalist with criminal..., A Latvian news reporter faces charges of inciting mass public disorder, after asking Riga residents if they intended to break a controversial new law.
Sat, 18 May 2013 20:55:35 GMT
- ArtsBeat: Boston Symphony Orchestra Appoints Andris Nelsons as New Music Director, Andris Nelsons , a dynamic young Latvian conductor, has been named music director of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, which has lingered without a leader for two years.
Fri, 17 May 2013 04:45:01 GMT
- Foreign business community in Latvia challenge the mayoral candidates of Riga, Yesterday, 14 May evening, the members of the leading 10 chambers of commerce in Latvia met with 5 mayoral candidates of Riga and their representatives for Riga municipal election 2013 debates and discussions, informs Linda Vitola-Baranova from Jazz Communications.... Read more...
Wed, 15 May 2013 17:47:40 GMT
- Riga: Strategic Choice [Latvian daily praises government's support for Azerbaijan], Latvijas Avize, Latvia May 9 2013 Strategic Choice [Latvian daily praises government's support for Azerbaijan] Commentary by Franks Gordons The trio of Transcaucasian countries -- Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan -- are undergoing unending tensions in the arena of "national" and international conflicts and debates.
Tue, 14 May 2013 06:31:32 GMT
- Conference "Low Wage Earners in Latvia and the Region" will take place at SSE Riga, The Baltic Center for Investigative Journalism Re:Baltica in cooperation with the Royal Norwegian Embassy, Polish Embassy, and Stockholm School of Economics in Riga, organizes the conference "Learning to stand up: low wage earners in Latvia and the region" on May 22nd, 2013.... Read more...
Mon, 13 May 2013 12:37:50 GMT
- [Ticker] Latvian economy on track for euro membership, New economic data from Latvia suggests the country's bid to adopt the euro in January 2014 is on track, reports AFP.
Mon, 13 May 2013 08:32:40 GMT
- A vicar will cycle across Europe in a bid to raise thousands for an anti-slavery charity., Rev Gav Murray, minister of Morden Baptist Church, in Crown Lane, Morden, will be pedalling 2,500km across mainland Europe for the Zoe Challenge.
Sun, 12 May 2013 11:49:34 GMT
- airBaltic to launch Riga - Malta flight, On 12 May 2013, Latvian airline airBaltic will launch a new route from Riga to Malta.
Fri, 10 May 2013 17:39:27 GMT
- Saeima passes Citizenship Law amendments - The Baltic Times, The long road for many in the struggle for recognition, and to receive Latvian citizenship, is finally over.
Fri, 10 May 2013 13:39:39 GMT
- In Latvia, V Is for Victory - " or Vanquished, Across the river from Riga's winding Old Town and famed Art Nouveau district, thousands of Latvia's ethnic Russians will gather today to commemorate the Soviet Union's defeat of Adolf Hitler's advancing troops and consequently, the end of World War II.
Thu, 09 May 2013 14:11:53 GMT
- Exchange announcement on the results of government debt securities primary placement auction, Latvian Government debt securities auctions under The Treasury of the Republic of Latvia are organized by NASDAQ OMX Riga.
Thu, 09 May 2013 11:02:14 GMT
- Latvia seeks 'Bilbao effect' with Rothko..., The opening of a museum dedicated to US art superstar Mark Rothko in his Latvian birthplace is raising hopes the city of Daugavpils could attract thousands of new tourists and revitalise the economy.
Mon, 06 May 2013 15:22:29 GMT
- Honors & Awards, Tyrone Shaw , an associate professor of journalism and communications at Johnson State College , received a Fulbright Specialist grant to teach at Riga Stradins University in Latvia for two weeks.
Mon, 06 May 2013 10:07:54 GMT
- Former Latvian refugee recalls how her family escaped Soviet mistreatment, Rasma Ekmanis of Cookeville is a grandmother and retired teacher, but what many people don't know is that she spent much of her childhood on the run from Soviet invaders in her home country of Latvia.
Sun, 05 May 2013 10:10:09 GMT
- ROHM salutes the German genius, It's the first time a Richard Wagner opera is being staged in the region. Written in 1839, The Flying Dutchman was one of his earlier operas.
Sun, 05 May 2013 05:00:19 GMT
- Comment of the Company to the annual report for 2012, On 30 April 2013 the JSC AS a zDitton pievadA A'A3 4u rA pnA ca", hereinafter - the Company, disclosed its audited annual report with the report of the auditor SIA a zDeloitte Audits Latvia", hereinafter - the Auditor.
Fri, 03 May 2013 19:48:59 GMT
- Latvian party calls for demolition of Soviet Liberator Memorials, With less than a week left before Victory Day on May 9, the Latvia's National Alliance party has come up with an initiative to demolish the Memorial to Soviet Liberators in the country's capital, Riga.
Fri, 03 May 2013 15:44:41 GMT
- airBaltic to launch Riga-Olbia and Riga-Heviz-Balaton flights, On 4 May 2013, Latvian airline airBaltic will launch two new routes from Riga to Olbia on the Italian island of Sardinia and from Riga to Heviz-Balaton, Hungary.
Fri, 03 May 2013 14:44:27 GMT
- Ayalon: Lieberman told me Ben Aryeh must be appointed, Former Deputy Foreign Minister Danny Ayalon testified on Thursday against former Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman , in the latter's trial on charges of fraud and breach of trust in the "ambassador affair." Ayalon is the only witness who claims Lieberman actively promoted former ambassador Zeev Ben Aryeh for the Latvia ambassador post.
Thu, 02 May 2013 09:57:16 GMT
Books, albums, and more!
- The quintessential view of the Riga skyline, circa 1550, and still recognizeable today, from Sebastian Munster's "Cosmographia Universalis", and part of the Lord's Prayer in Latvian
- "Foreign Corn Ports-Riga", The Illustrated London News, news article with engraved illustrations, full reprint; pub. 1847
- "Livlandische Schweiz" (The Livonian Switzerland), a scenic Latvian photo album (20 pictures) by Carl Anton Schulz, circa 1880—original scans republished and family background added @LOBH.ORG.
- "RIGA", The National Encyclopedia, the full entry for Riga, accompanied with engraved illustration; full reprint; pub. circa 1897
- Album "Riga" ca. 1910, a large-format photo album (3 dozen pictures) of Riga at the start of the 20th century
- "In Memory of the First President of Latvia, Jānis Čakste", a memorial photo album dedicated to the first President of Latvia; pub. 1927
- "Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Finland", The New Human Interest Library, illustrated encyclopedia articles on the Baltic countries, published 1928
- "The Freedom Monument" (Brīvības Piemineklis), art critic Jānis Siliņš' discussion of the Freedom Monument (complete, partially translated), 1935
- The First Latvian Arts and Crafts Exhibition (I Latvijas Daiļamatniecības Izstāde), complete catalog, 1937
- Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, full text of the secret protocol carving up Eastern Europe between Stalin and Hitler, 1939
- "Where now is the sovietisation?", Latvian Economic Review, Foreign Minister V. Munter's address at the Latvian University delivered February, 1940; as published April 1940
- "These Names Accuse—Nominal List of Latvians Deported to Soviet Russia", the circumstances leading up to and including the Soviet occupation and deportations of 1940-1941 during the "Year of Terror" ("Baigais Gads" in Latvian), and list of those deported; second edition, pub. Stockholm, 1982
- "The Soviet Union, Finland, and the Baltic States", in a monograph published after the Winter War and toward the end of its first occupation of the Baltic states, the Soviet Union blames the Finns and Balts for their troubles, only the Soviets have consistently engaged in "neighbourly relations," rebuffed by its neighbors at every turn. A classic study in Stalinist propaganda and a version of history still familiar in official Russian rhetoric. 1941
- "Latvia Under German Occupation in 1943", published by the Latvian Legation, 1944, recounting a year of occupation under the Nazis
- "Primary Sources in European Diplomacy, 1914-1945 A Bibliography of Published Memoirs and Diaries", by Frederic M. Messick, a compilation listing all published first-hand accounts of the major diplomatic events and personal experiences of the WWI to WWII period, reference excerpt
- "Latviesu Trimdinieka Kalendars 1947" (The Latvian Exile's Calendar 1947), complete facsimile [Latvian] and poetry translations; published in the D.P. camps, 1947
- "Kopoti Raksti" (Karlis Skalbe's Collected Works), excerpted and translated poetry, ca. 1947
- Folk Costumes (Anna Darzina postcards), pictures and details; published in the D.P. camps, ca. 1948
- "Latviska un Moderna Virtuve" (The Latvian and Modern Kitchen), traditional Latvian recipes, excerpts and translations; pub. Fischbach D.P. Camp, Germany, 1949
- "The Story of Latvia—A Historical Survey", Arved Švābe's concise history of Latvia, from the Balts inhabiting now western Russia through the Soviet occupation (complete book, also in PDF), 1949
- "Latvia—Our Dream is Coming True", quintessential Soviet propaganda by Vilis Lacis—a lesson for today; complete book; published 1959
- "Pa Latvijas Celiem" (Along Latvia's Roads), inscribed Soviet-era postcard set, ca. 1960
- "Attitudes of the Major Soviet Nationalities, Latvia and the Latvians", a project of M.I.T.'s Center for International Studies; complete book, also in PDF format; pub. 1973
- "Soviet Aggression Against the Baltic States", Supreme Court Senator August Rumpēters superbly detailed and annotated treatise examining the Soviet-Baltic relationship and its basis in treaties and international law, published 1974
| The SOVIET
Russia's press and
Russian politicians continue to be up in arms over the film about the
Soviet-Nazi conspiracy in launching the subjugation of the Baltic states. Visit
Soviet Story to find out more about
the film, now available to order on DVD.
| Just in time for the
The New York Latvian Concert Choir
has just released
its latest Christmas CD. We should also mention that WGBH Boston radio will
feature music from the NYLCC's earlier LATVIAN SOLSTICE
December 22nd, on Classical Music with Cheryl Willoughby
, as part of
their special Winter Solstice program.
| Support us! Buy at
- Alberta Iela, One of the finest surviving examples of the German Art Nouveau movement of a century ago.
- Pilgrimage to the Past, Peters seeks his family's roots in Kurzeme and Vidzeme—where his mother returns to the scene of her own childhood after more than half a century.
- The Riga Zoo, Exploring Riga's 40 acre (16 hectare) zoo. An easy ride on the No. 11 tram from the center of town.
- The Organ of Liepaja's Church of the Holy Trinity, The most intact surviving handiwork of J.S. Bach's favorite master organ builder.
| Personal Perspectives
- Silvija's Story, Latvian strength and love of family in the face of Soviet oppression and hopelessness.
- July 1977, Silvija's first trip! A pivotal experience whose significance has only deepened with time.
- Peters' Story, Collapse of the Soviet Union brings an unhoped-for opportunity.
- October 1992, Peters' first trip! From his grandfather's water mill to goat-walking in Riga.
- August 1993, Riga and Usma.
- October 1994, Highlights of Peters' roots-seeking trip.
- July 1995, A whirlwind tour: Aglona, Bauska, Brīvdabas (Ethnographic) Museum, Jaunmoku Castle, Jelgava, Liepāja, Rīga, and Rundāle's Palace.
- October 1996, Autumn colors in Rīga and Kuldīga.
- August 1997, Cemetery service for the victims of Soviet deportation; Mordanga, and Rīga.
- December 1997-New Year's, Latvia twice in one year!
- December 2002, Wandering (lots of pictures) far and wide in winter Rīga.
- June 1998, Song and Dance Festival, AOL "Lat Chat" live, Riga, Stende.
- June 1999, Our honeymoon in Latvia (where else!)
- March 2001, Peters' aunt Erna's 100th birthday jubilee.
| Baltic Views and
- Latvia and Greece—Baltic thaw, Aegean freeze, Journalist and Baltic/Eastern Europe expert Edward Lucas discusses the competing EU economic crises. Lucas writes for the Economist and is author of "The New Cold War." [February 25 2010]
- You Think Greece Has Problems—Latvia's Road to Serfdom, Insight into the scale of Latvia's current economic crisis., by Michael Hudson and Jeff Sommers. Michael Hudson is a former Wall Street economist and now a Distinguished Research Professor at University of Missouri, Kansas City (UMKC), and president of the Institute for the Study of Long-Term Economic Trends (ISLET). Jeffrey Sommers is co-director of the Baltic Research Group at ISLET, and visiting faculty at the Stockholm School of Economics in Riga. [February 15 2010]
- Estonia Counts her Blessings, Reflections on the survival of Estonia, an essay by Jüri Estam. Juri Estam is a journalist, author, and commentator, member of the Estonia Institute for Human Rights, recipient of several national Estonian awards, and a political independent. [February 23 2008]